US Embassy in PH reopens

The Embassy of the United Sates in the country announced it is reopening its offices Tuesday (December 9), a day after a weakened Typhoon Ruby slammed Metro Manila.

Embassy officials release a statement Sunday that it was closing its office Monday following the landfall of Ruby.

All visa interviews for Monday were also cancelled and moved for Friday, December 12.

“Affected applicants are advised to come prepared for their immigrant visa appointment on the new date, and plan to arrive 6:15 a.m.,” said in a press statement.

Visa applicants has been advised to check the embassy website http://manila.usembassy.gov/ for further details.

Meanwhile, the US government has extended its condolences to the Philippine government.

“On behalf of the U.S. Government, the United States Embassy Manila wishes to extend our deepest condolences for the loss of life and devastation caused by Typhoon Ruby (international name Hagupit),” the embassy said in a separate press release.

It further said it “is ready to provide assistance to the Philippine authorities at their request and under their guidance.”

Typhoon Ruby was earlier classified as a super typhoon but weakened over the weekend causing considerably less damage that the devastating Typhoon Yolanda that batter the country in November last year.

Still, The Philippine Red Cross said some 21 people were killed and thousand left homeless by Ruby.

In contrast, more than 9,000 people were killed by Yolanda and hundreds of thousands left homeless.
Government authorities are yet to provide the amount and extent of damage caused by Ruby.

Ruby has now exited Metro Manila and is expected to leave the Philippine area of responsibility by Thursday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *