Pyrotechnic competition to lighten Gensan Xmas dig

Seven entries have already signed in for the 2nd Pyrotechnic Competition which will also highlight this year’s Paskuhan sa Gensan celebration.

Event organizer Poppy Altoberoz Rillo said competitors each from Manila, Bohol, Dumaguete, Matalam, Tacurong will vie for the P100,000 first prize, up from last year’s P80,000 grand prize winner.

Host General Santos city has two entries.

Total cash prize for the competition is P330,000 with the second prize winner going home with P80,000 and P60,000 for the third prize winner. A P30,000 consolation prize for 3 others will also be awarded.

More and bigger fireworks display will be up in this year's 2nd Pyrotechnics Competition which will run trough December 20 to 22 at the Oval Plaza.  Photo taken from last year's closing ceremonies of the Paskuhan sa Gensan.PHOTO BY EDWIN ESPEJO
More and bigger fireworks display will be up in this year’s 2nd Pyrotechnics Competition which will run trough December 20 to 22 at the Oval Plaza. Photo taken from last year’s closing ceremonies of the Paskuhan sa Gensan.PHOTO BY EDWIN ESPEJO

The annual Paskuhan sa Gensan kicked off Thursday with the Light-a-Tree contest of Department of Education at the Plaza Heneral Santos and the opening of the Oval Plaza bazaar.

On Monday, December 14, grand opening will be held at the Oval Plaza where select competitors of the fireworks display will show their wares.

The city government is no longer spending for the fireworks display for this year’s grand opening and closing ceremonies as per advised by government auditors, a report said.

General Santos City is aiming to become the fireworks display capital of Mindanao by holding the pyrotechnic competition the second straight year.

Mayor Ronnel Rivera said he hopes the competition gains momentum and will become an annual attraction for the city.

“Especially that Davao City has banned all kinds of firecrackers and pyrotechnics,” Rivera said.

The mayor however said he has issued an order to the event organizers to ensure that the safety of the audience and the city is guaranteed.

The fireworks are set up at the grounds of Mindanao State University and are off limits to spectators.

Last year’s inaugural competition was won by an entry from Manila.

The competitors will show their fireworks displays on December 20, 21 and 22 at 8:00 o’clock each night.

Meanwhile other activities lined up for this year’s Paskuhan include Lantern Parade Contest, Battle of the Band, Larawan Paskuhan Photo Contest, Christmas Carol Competition, Swag Christmas Dance Competition, Campus idol Competition and Drum and Lyre Competition.

Nightly movies will also be shown at the Oval Plaza adjacent to the bazaar and Christmas Carnival that is now offering more and bigger rides.

The Paskuhan will close on December 23 to allow government employees and competitors to enjoy Christmas with their families.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *